Before you choose which type of carpeting is right for your next project, there are a few important factors to consider: look and feel, durability, and purpose. In this article, we breakdown everything you need to know about carpeting to ensure you make the right choice for your renovation project.
Carpeting 101When discussing carpeting, there are a few key terms you will want to understand ahead of time:
- Density – When referring to carpeting, density means the proximity or closeness of the yarn fibers. Typically, the denser the material the better quality the product.
- Fiber – This refers to the basic material in a carpet. Fiber is either manmade (e.g. nylon, polyester, polypropylene/Olefin) or natural (e.g. wool).
- Pad - Also referred to as "cushion" or "underlay," carpet pad is the thin layer of foam, fiber, or rubber beneath carpets. It typically is used to prolong the life of a carpet, serve as an insulator, and add comfort.
- Pile – Pile is a term used to discuss the visible surface of a carpet. It is made up of the fiber tufts in loops that are either cut or uncut.
Once you are comfortable with these terms, you will have an easier time comparing and evaluating different types of carpeting.
Types of Carpeting MaterialsNow that you have a basic understanding of how carpet is discussed, you can move on to different types of carpet materials. Carpeting can be made up of both synthetic and natural materials:
- Nylon - Considered the most common carpet fiber, nylon owes its popularity to its strength and durability. It resists fading, mildew, staining and crushing.
- Olefin (Polypropylene) - Most well known for being a great option for high traffic areas, Olefin carpet tends to be less expensive and more widely available than other carpet materials.
- Polyester - A prominent synthetic material, polyester is most well-known for being easy to clean and resistant to stains.
- Wool - a more traditional natural fiber, wool is a strong material that can hold up to foot-traffic and compaction from large, heavy furniture. Additionally, wool is often used to evoke a soft and luxurious feel.
Types of Carpeting StylesCarpet is made by looping material through backing and then designing a specific pile, or texture. There are two main types of pile: loop pile and cut pile. Within these two groups there are a variety of specific styles and options to choose from:
Carpet DurabilityWhen comparing carpet types for durability, you will want to pay attention to the carpets “face weight.” Face weight is how you will be able to determine the density of the fibers, and as we learned earlier the denser the fibers the more durable the carpet will be.
To determine the level of durability you will need from your carpeting, you will want to consider the pros and cons of each material. Synthetic fibers will make cleaning a breeze and conveniently come in a wide variety of colors, textures and styles. Nylon carpet, for example, tends to be the most popular for homes with pets thanks to its durability, stain resistance and affordability.
Natural materials like wool lend an unparalleled level of sophistication and style along with an being environmentally friendly, durable, and naturally flame-resistant. Since each material has its own unique set of benefits, make sure to work with a carpet expert to narrow down which type of carpet will best suit your needs.
When is Carpeting the Right Choice?If you are considering carpeting for specific rooms in your home, you will want to determine what type of carpeting makes sense for that unique space. Traffic patterns, style preferences, and upkeep needs should all be considered before making any major renovation decisions.
Bedroom CarpetingThe number one reason to have carpeting in any bedroom is comfort. Hard surfaces not only offer no flexibility underfoot, but they also aren’t great at absorbing sound. Carpet can help muffle any sound which will make staying quiet while someone is snoozing a lot easier.
Playroom CarpetingPlayrooms are the best place to install carpeting. Avoid bumps and bruises by installing a soft, cushioned carpet with a thick pad that can protect little ones from slips and falls. Additionally, carpet will help reduce the fun, albeit loud, noise of electronic toys and games.
Living Room CarpetingCarpet is phenomenal for insulation. Installing carpeting in your living room can help maintain a warm and cozy environment for you and your family to enjoy all winter long.
How to Clean CarpetsIt is a common misconception that carpet is too difficult to clean to be a convenient flooring material. At Calvetta Brothers, we think this idea couldn’t be further from the truth.
Today, there are countless cleaning products, sealants, and carpet cleaners that make maintaining your floors a breeze. Additionally, different types of carpets are manufactured solely with ease of maintenance in mind. If you still aren’t convinced; however, professional carpet cleaners can take all the work out of maintaining the quality of your carpets.
Where to Find CarpetingIf you’re ready to choose a carpet for your next project, the best place to start is Calvetta Brothers Floor Show. With one of the largest flooring selections in Cleveland, Ohio, you’re sure to find a carpet options that matches your style and budget needs.
Visit one of our locations in Bedford Heights, Westlake, Northfield Center, and Mentor or contact us to get started!